Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Veterans Day

Heroes
By Jared Jenkins

In war, there are lives risked and lives taken
men and women giving their best to defend what they love

They defend their country
Their honor
Their people

Some call them soldiers
Others call them heroes
Our veterans have risked their lives for us
They have lived through hell and fought with honor

Many have killed
And regret doing so
For every life, there is a soul
For every soul, there is a life

For those who have died, we show great appreciation and remembrance
For those who live, along with them live the horrific memories of battle
Some, memories of defeat
Some, memories of victory

Our veterans were more than soldiers
They were, and still are heroes



Although I served two tours of duty in Vietnam, the true heroes were the men and women who served during World War I and World War II.  Without their bravery, imagine where we all would be today.  So if you see an old man selling poppies and proudly wearing his military garb, please do not only buy one from him but also shake his hand and thank him.  Pin that poppy on too, to show you care.
 
Here is an old photo of my dad, who served in the Pacific at Guam and my uncle John, who survived Omaha Beach.
 


Veterans day is tomorrow and this day always floods my mind with thoughts of friends lost and lives sacrificed in the name of freedom. It also makes me look around and see so many people who don't have a clue or just don't care.  As for me, I will continue to have the nightmares and the questions I ask myself.  But I was proud to serve, as were all of the Vets who returned to try to pick up their lives where they left off and moved forward into a new and uncertain world....
Please fly your flag tomorrow and thank a Vet because you are able to.
 


9 comments:

TwiBitch said...

Great entry Bob. And THANK YOU! Our family, too, is full of Veterans. My Dad & Father in law, many ancestors that I never knew, 2 brothers, my sister, many uncles & cousins. Without your service & theirs, we would probably not be enjoying the freedoms we have today. And without today's military I'm sure things would be pretty ugly around here. God Bless You All!

Sherry said...

THANK YOU BOB AND GOD BLESS!

CAROLDEE said...

THANKS for your service to our country BOB.. it means a lot.. I had three uncles who served and were lucky enough to come home again. I appreciate your sacrifices. Have a great VETERANS DAY!

Terry said...

Thank you Bob for your service to our great country. God Bless You and all of our veterans.

Terry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

Thank you Bob for your service to our country.
Excellent post.

Hope said...

Thank you again Bob.. for all you have done.. I thank your family.. I thank all who put themselves in harms way for our freedom..
and being in Naum.. was probably in my opinion..the worst.. because when you guys came home.. you were treated so horrific.. and for that I am so very sorry..
softest of all hugs this day to you.

maillady said...

Thank you for serving, Bob. And God bless our troops, far and wide, young and old, they are heroes!

GreatGranny said...

This is a great tribute to our Veterans. I don't remember ever not receiving a poppy until this year as I stayed home. Thank you for your courageous service, Bob.